Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
radioactiveman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater tap

Post by radioactiveman »

Hello!

I have an issue (I think) with my heater tap. Today I've changed my heater hoses as they were perished.

However, when I went to test them for leaks there was not a hint of heat (and therefore I assume, coolant) through them. I ran the car for long enough that the radiator top and bottom hoses were hot (I guess this is a good indication the thermostat was open?).

My 'push for heat' knob was 'in' and appeared to affect the heater tap (as in the cable had pushed the lever to the right).

Can the heater tap jam shut even thought the lever appears to be operating as one might expect?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Heater tap

Post by svenedin »

Yes I think it can jam shut. There’s a rubber diaphragm inside. The reason I know this is my heater valve “exploded” a few days ago and I could clearly see the rubber diaphragm. Unfortunately I do not think the valve is serviceable so will need replacement
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Re: Heater tap

Post by radioactiveman »

svenedin wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:07 pm Yes I think it can jam shut. There’s a rubber diaphragm inside. The reason I know this is my heater valve “exploded” a few days ago and I could clearly see the rubber diaphragm. Unfortunately I do not think the valve is serviceable so will need replacement
Thanks for your reply 🙏🏼

It was indeed my valve, it was completely gunged up.
919A6F97-2C28-4BB3-A3D2-3F0616385862.jpeg
919A6F97-2C28-4BB3-A3D2-3F0616385862.jpeg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 1941 times
So I’ve now replaced it with the older brass tap and my heater is now lovely and hot!

:D :D