Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Diff oil

Post by les »

How do you tell the difference between GL4 and GL5, visually or any other way ?

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Diff oil

Post by Bill_qaz »

Unfortunately Les if its not in its original marked container I don't think you can as its only the additives. Unless we have an oil industry expert who will put me right :)
To quote from a manufacturer
The main difference between GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils is in the level of extreme-pressure (EP) additives. EP additives effectively protect gears by providing a sacrificial layer on gear surfaces; these additives are essential for protecting gears operating under heavy loads and extreme temperatures. A typical GL-5 gear oil provides about twice as much EP additive in its formulation compared to a GL-4 gear oil.
Regards Bill
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks Bill, I guess it was a rather ridiculous question. I want to top up the oil in the diff but for some reason I can’t remember the oil I used, I wrote the date and mileage of filling but omitted the type, it must have been GL4 but once you start to wonder about these things, that’s it. The simplest thing is to drain and replace, then I’ll be happy ! :D

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

If its a small amount to top up then mixing isn't an issue but for the sake of a litre and peace of mind as you say Change it and keep what comes out for oiling the rusty gate hinges :lol:
Regards Bill
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well I replaced the oil today, 1 litre, maybe a spoonful less, it’s difficult to completely empty the container in the position required. It didn’t run from the hole but I’m going to accept it’s enough. Another interesting or should I say disappointing thing about a tin of grease I recently bought, every tin in the past has had a plastic disc with an inch hole in the middle, sat on top of the grease, which is essential when filling a grease gun. It’s no longer featured in this tin, anyone know if this omission is the way now or maybe just the make of grease. Penny pinching lot, it wasn’t cheap grease either.

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

les wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:05 pm It’s no longer featured in this tin, anyone know if this omission is the way now or maybe just the make of grease.
Interesting to hear. I haven't opened any of the grease we recently got, but it makes me wonder if ours will be the same. The silly thing was that at the time of purchase you could get 1 tub for something like £8 free postage, or from somewhere else, 2 tubs for £8.30 and free postage.

Having never filled a grease gun, I figured you just dolloped the grease in (in fact a YouTube video on the subject showed this as being the method, at least for the tecalemit cylindrical kind).
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, of course you can fill the gun by spooning in the grease, but I have always used the method preferred by Les.
As for the diff itself, I have found that if it is running low on oil it will start to make a whirring noise, initially when at slow speeds and cornering. But of course it is best to carry out the routine checks specified by the manual.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Chief wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:05 pm
les wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:05 pm It’s no longer featured in this tin, anyone know if this omission is the way now or maybe just the make of grease.
Interesting to hear. I haven't opened any of the grease we recently got, but it makes me wonder if ours will be the same. The silly thing was that at the time of purchase you could get 1 tub for something like £8 free postage, or from somewhere else, 2 tubs for £8.30 and free postage.

Having never filled a grease gun, I figured you just dolloped the grease in (in fact a YouTube video on the subject showed this as being the method, at least for the tecalemit cylindrical kind).
You can also put in cylindrical tubes, you remove the end and put it in your gun, no mess.
This is only on full size side arm guns not the smaller one handed type as far as I am aware.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

On the grease question, in recent years I've brought a couple of tubs/tins.
The earlier purchase, the tin (I forget the brand), didn't have one, the more recent plastic tub (Comma) did.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Can now confirm Carlube grease (metal tin with prise off lid) does not come with the inner disc with the hole.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It’s beginning to look like metal containers with their lid arrangement don’t lend themselves to the addition of a plastic disc, after the tin is formed.
The plastic containers with a screw on lid, do not restrict the fitting of said disc. So maybe that is the determining factor.

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

We still have a very (as in at least 30+ years) old tin of Castrol grease which came in a metal tin, with a prise lid and has the metal disc with the hole.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Oh well, that’s my theory blown out the water !! :-?