Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Donald Ross
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Lower Trunnion Removal

Post by Donald Ross »

Hi

Upon replacing the bushes in the upper trunnion on my 1970 Morris Minor i noticed some play in the kingpin suggesting the kingpin or the lower trunnion threads are worn.

I rebuild the upper trunnion which is in perfect condition. My question is Can the Lower Trunnion be removed without removing the brake backplate?

I just cant seem to get a answer to this. My car happens to have the Grumpy Marina disk conversion but i believe the backplate is not any closer the the trunnion?

Just wondering how big a job this is going to be to check the wear on the threads.

Thanks
Donald
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Lower Trunnion Removal

Post by philthehill »

The bottom trunnion cannot be removed for examination without first removing the calliper, then the hub with disc, then the disc brake stone guard.
Once the above is removed the process of removing the swivel (king pin) from the bottom trunnion can begin.
Basically a complete strip down.

Donald Ross
Minor Friendly

Post by Donald Ross »

Thanks for that info

I'm pleased to have cleared that up so I now know how to proceed.

Out of interest in your opinion do you think the actual king pin threads will be worn as well as the trunnion. When i had the top trunnion off i noticed a wobble at the bottom trunnion where it screws into the kingpin (not noticable when top trunion fully assembled) which is what has got me looking into this. I'm considering replacing the king pin at the same time the question is is it just the trunnion or are the kingpins worn too.

Just a note, the wobble is not at all noticeable when fully assembled or when driving it was only when I had the top trunnion off I noticed it. I assume there should be no play at all?

Thanks again for your advice
Much appreciated
Regards
Donald
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It could be either of the threads.
The thread is of a flattened top 75% Whitworth form. If when dismantled you find the threads are sharp on the swivel then the swivel needs to be replaced along with the trunnions.
Make sure that the seals are new and fit well. The Dorset MMOC produce a removable seal which has had good reports and is well worth fitting.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156006263818 ... Swt-NkfHUa

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I have fitted those removable seals and very happy with them. Much easier than dismantling the suspension to fit - and an improvement over severing the old-style seals, slipping them on, and binding them with self-amalgamating tape so they stay in place! :wink: